All organisations rely on information systems (IS) to support their key processes. IS help companies effectively store and retrieve important information which enhances their decision-making and planning processes, saving time and money. Specialists in this field are responsible for designing and implementing these systems and maintaining the hardware and software that keep them operational.
With the above in mind, it should come as no surprise that experts in this field are in increasingly high demand. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of managers within this field is expected to increase by 11 per cent from 2020 to 2030.
In the remainder of this article, we briefly outline different types of IS, the many job opportunities a course in this field affords, and where you should consider enrolling.
Types of IS
Most organisations rely on the following six IS to manage operations within their businesses:
- Transaction Processing – manages all customer and employee transaction data to allow companies to improve their workflow efficiency and effortlessly retrieve necessary information.
- Office Automation – enhances teamwork and communication within a business by handling all managerial and clerical duties.
- Knowledge Management – improves job performance by keeping users informed through knowledge-sharing and the management of an extensive range of information.
- Management Information – uses transaction processing data to assist middle managers with performance monitoring and decision-making.
- Decision Support – assists managers with their decision-making process by processing all the details pertaining to this.
- Executive Support – handles all the necessary information to help enterprise leaders conduct internal performance monitoring, competition tracking, and growth opportunities identification.
A course in this sought-after field will give you access to a range of exciting career opportunities which offer flexibility, plenty of room for growth, higher than average salaries, and job satisfaction. These include:
- Application analyst
- Systems analyst
- Cyber security analyst
- Software engineer
- Data analyst
- Penetration tester
- Data scientist
- IT technical support officer
- Database administrator
- IT consultant
- IS manager
Where To Study
Are you interested in studying an IS course? Rather than simply enrolling for a short course, why not position yourself for success by completing a degree programme? But don’t just choose any degree, a Belgium Campus iTversity degree will help you stand out above the rest.
Belgium Campus’ Bachelor of IT degree not only focusses on IS modules but also provides foundational knowledge in the fields of software engineering and business intelligence. The programme consists of three years of academic training, during which you will cover an extensive range of topics, from mobile and wireless networks to artificial intelligence and intelligent systems. You will be transformed into a complete professional who is ready to lead, not only in this field but in a variety of interesting fields anywhere in the world!
Visit the qualifications section on our website to learn more or give us a call at 010 593 5368. Our career advisors would be happy to help you make the right choice for your future.